A PROJECT REPORT ON ONLINE NATIONAL POLLING MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (No of pages:82)
|2||AIM AND OBJECTIVES
|5||SOFTWARE AND HARDWARE
|10||FUNCTIONAL REQUIREMENTS SPECIFICATION
|11||SOFTWARE DESIGN AND DATA FLOW DIAGRAM
- To build an online system this would enable voters to cast their votes on chosen candidates.
- To create a database to be used to stored votes, and user information on the system
- To enable the system to tally votes cast according to candidate voted for.
- To enable voters to cast their votes for their chosen candidates
- To enable voters to view biographies of the candidates being voted for in the election.
- To enable administrators to generate reports on the vote results
SOFTWARE AND HARDWARE
Visual Basic (VB) is the third-generation event-driven programming language and integrated development environment (IDE) from Microsoft for its COM programming model. VB is also considered a relatively easy to learn and use programming language, because of its graphical development features and BASIC heritage.
Visual Basic was derived from BASIC and enables the rapid application development (RAD) of graphical user interface (GUI) applications, access to databases using Data Access Objects, Remote Data Objects, or ActiveX Data Objects, and creation of ActiveX controls and objects. Scripting languages such as VBA and VBScript are syntactically similar to Visual Basic, but perform differently.
A programmer can put together an application using the components provided with Visual Basic itself. Programs written in Visual Basic can also use the Windows API, but doing so requires external function declarations.
The final release was version 6 in 1998. Microsoft’s extended support ended in March 2008 and the designated successor was Visual Basic .NET (now known simply as Visual Basic).
Some of the derived languages are:
- Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) is included in many Microsoft applications (Microsoft Office), and also in many third-party products like SolidWorks, AutoCAD, WordPerfect Office 2002, ArcGIS, Sage Accpac ERP, and Business Objects Desktop Intelligence. There are small inconsistencies in the way VBA is implemented in different applications, but it is largely the same language as VB6 and uses the same runtime library.
- and VBScript should not be confused with ASP.NET which uses the .NET Framework for compiled web pages.
- Visual Basic .NET is Microsoft’s designated successor to Visual Basic 6.0, and is part of Microsoft’s .NET platform. Visual Basic.Net compiles and runs using the .NET Framework. It is not backwards compatible with VB6. An automated conversion tool exists, but fully automated conversion for most projects is impossible.
- StarOffice Basic is a Visual Basic compatible interpreter included in StarOffice suite, developed by Sun Microsystems.
- Gambas is a Visual Basic inspired free software programming language. It is not a clone of Visual Basic, but it does have the ability to convert Visual Basic programs to Gambas.
VBScript is the default language for Active Server Pages. It can be used in Windows scripting and client-side web page scripting. Although it resembles VB in syntax, it is a separate language and it is executed by vbscript.dll as opposed to the VB runtime. ASP All versions of the Visual Basic development environment from 1.0 to 6.0 have been retired and are now unsupported by Microsoft. The associated runtime environments are unsupported too, with the exception of the Visual Basic 6 core runtime environment, which will be officially supported by Microsoft for the lifetime of Windows 7. Third party components that shipped with Visual Studio 6.0 are not included in this support statement. Some legacy Visual Basic components may still work on newer platforms, despite being unsupported by Microsoft and other vendors.Development and maintenance development for Visual Basic 6 is possible on legacy Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 2003 using Visual Studio 6.0 platforms, but is unsupported. Documentation for Visual Basic 6.0, its application programming interface and tools is best covered in the last MSDN release before Visual Studio.NET 2002. Later releases of MSDN focused on .NET development and had significant parts of the Visual Basic 6.0 programming documentation removed. The Visual Basic IDE can be installed and used on Windows Vista, where it exhibits some minor incompatibilities which do not hinder normal software development and maintenance. As of August 2008, both Visual Studio 6.0 and the MSDN documentation mentioned above are available for download by MSDN subscribers.
MS-Office Project 2010:
The tool that we are using for planning is the MS-Office Project 2010. Using this tool we are going to track our project development progress. The tool is very easy to use so that we can able to easily pictorically denote our project’s progress. In our project we are going to plan for the modules like login, area selection, ballot sheet and status viewing.
- Create and maintain an optimized project execution plan
- Forecast and manage detailed project costs and track variances against the budget
- Track and analyze project progress according to the project plan
- Communicate and report project plans and progress effectively with useful reports and graphical representations of project information
Plus, Project 2010 can be used with existing Project files and previous versions of Microsoft Office applications, so you can start enjoying the benefits right away.
Project Professional 2010 also provides collaborative enterprise project management capabilities when used with Microsoft Office Project Server 2010.
Project 2010 enables users to better:
Create and Maintain Plans:
Schedule projects to get productive quickly and ensure that projects are delivered on time and within a budget.
- Set up projects quickly to lower project cycle time and improve efficiency.
The Project Guide, a step-by-step interactive guide, has been improved to quickly and easily enable users to set up projects, manage tasks, resources, and task status, and report project information. This feature helps start projects faster and manage project elements effectively.
- Save time with templates and promote consistency throughout the project to increase overall effectiveness.
A rich set of out-of-the-box templates in Project 2010 helps accelerate the project creation process. A Project template pre-populates task and resource information, and applies formatting, macros, and other project-specific settings.
Forecast and Manage Costs:
Monitor project financials to forecast and manage project costs and track variances against the budget.
- Assign costs to project tasks, providing a clearer picture of the project’s total cost
The new Cost Resources feature enables users to assign costs to tasks and provides new fields for cost information that enable better project accounting, resulting in precise project cost estimates. This feature also supports integration of Project 2010 with many popular accounting systems.
Track and Analyze Progress:
Track and analyze project progress effectively according to the project plan to get clear visibility into project risks and issues, and to gain better project insight.