DEVELOPING OF ONLINE EXAMINATION PORTAL
CHAPTER – 1Introduction
CHAPTER – 2 SYSTEM ANALYSIS
CHAPTER – 3 DESIGN
CHAPTER – 4 CODING
CHAPTER – 5 TESTING
CHAPTER – 6 SYSTEM IMPLIMENTATION AND maintenance
CHAPTER – 7 Future scope and conclusion
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROJECT
The aim of the project is to develop a demo web site that enables users to appear an online examination with certain terms and conditions fixed by the organization. Using this web portal user may test their fluency in a particular subject online.
The main aim of feasibility study is to determine whether it would be financially and technically feasible to develop the product. This activity involves the analysis of problems and collections of all relevant information relating to the product.
There are three types of feasibility study- economic, technical and behavioral feasibility.
SCOPE OF THE PROJECT
This project would be very useful for educational institutes where regular evaluation of students’ is required. Further it can also be useful for anyone who requires feedback based on objective type responses
Required software is for conducting network based `objective’ type examination and providing immediate results. The system should satisfy the following requirements:
- Administrator Aspect
- Taking backup of the database
- Editing/Deleting/Creating the database.
- Adding or deleting faculty
- Changing the super password.
- Faculty Aspect
- Logging into the system.
- Sending invitations to specific student by mail
- Accepting registrations of candidates
- Creating a test
- Posting questions in the above test
- Posting multiple options to respective question
- Marking correct answer within the given options
- Time limit of the test if any.
- Whether to randomize the questions
- Whether to randomize the options displayed
- To allow the test to be taken in practice mode where the correct answer is shown immediately after the candidate selects an option.
- Student Aspect:
- Requesting registration
- Logging into the system.
- Edit user information.
- Selecting the test.
- Selecting whether the test to be taken in practice mode where the correct answer is shown immediately after the candidate selects an option.
- Appearing for the examination.
- Printing the result at the end of the examination.
- Reviewing the given responses.
- Changing password.
- Resetting of forgotten password
- Authenticating users based on username and password
- Recording candidates’ responses to every question
- Checking whether the given response is correct or not
- Keeping history of test reports of all users
- The reports are required to be mailed to the candidates on the registered mail address.
- Temporary password will be mailed to the user incase the user forgets the password.
- Invitations for the appearance for the new test will be mailed.
Software has to be designed to conduct tests. Unlike other examination systems this software should not be just for the students; instead it should also provide facility to Institutes to host Tests/Exams. This will help institutes as:
- There will be no need to get new software every time to conduct a test.
Also like other software, it will help students by:
- Saving the extra time of going to far away Exam Centre.
- Students need not wait for their results.
Also this software will remove the flaws of existing Manual Systems like:
- Reducing the manual labour (Decreases Overheads).
- Avoiding Mistakes Due To Human Error (Accurate).
- Will Increase Efficiency and Save Time.
- Will Allow Neat Handling Of Data Rather Than Error Prone Records.
The institutes will register themselves with a unique login name and password; the unique id will be issued to the institutes by the website.
- They will enter exam details like number of questions, positive marks.
- Then they will enter the questions along with the answers which can later be deleted and edited.
- Also they will enter the list of eligible candidates with their id names which can also be edited later.
- Institutes will be able to view the students list along with their respective results.
Also for students:
- They will be able to login with their id, name and institute id.
- They will be able to give the exam as per the details entered by respective institutes.
- Also they will be able to view their scores after test finishes.
- If already given the test then they will just be able to view their scores.
- Other users can take sample tests to get feel and look of how the tests are conducted.
Other key points:
- Different set of questions will be given to different students.
- The questions will be selected randomly from the database.
SOFTWARE AND HARDWARE SPECIFICATION
The selection of hardware is very important in the existence and proper working of any software. When selecting hardware, the size and capacity requirements are also important.
Below is some of the hardware that is required by the system
- 40 GB hard disk
- 256 MB RAM
- Processor- Pentium 4 or above
The Web Site is comprised of the following software tools. These tools were chosen in such a manner taking into account the need for future enhancements, system longevity and maintainability. The required software and tools for the proposed project is listed below:
|Operating System||Windows xp|
|Software||Visual studio 2005|
|Languages/Scripts||C#, ASP.NET, XML, HTML, Java Scripts, AJAX Script.|
|Design Style||Cascading Style Sheets|
|GUI For Report Generating||Crystal Report xi|
|Browsers||Internet Explorer 6.0, Mozilla Firefox|
|Databases||SQL Server 2005|